The Acute Care Surgery Case Log is essential to the success of your Acute Care Surgery Fellowship program. By entering the cases in the case log excel spreadsheet, when it is time for your site revisit, the committee and revisit team will pull your cases from the Case Log spreadsheet and review them prior to the visit. This will save you and the revisit team time prior to the visit. If you have any questions on the case log database system, please contact the AAST Central Office at 800-789-4006 or email us.
With the curricular change to an experiential rather than rotation based system, accurate case numbers are critical for fellow documentation and ultimate credentialing as well as programmatic verification by the AAST.
Starting August 1, 2019, the AAST is asking all Fellows to keep an Excel case log. The excel caselog should be reviewed with the Program Director monthly (or at least quarterly). In addition, the excel caselog should be submitted to Bridget Lindbloom at AAST Headquarters quarterly. Cumulative summary reports will be shared with all institutions twice a year (typically January and July).
Download the excel case log
View a video tutorial
Download the excel case log instruction
Current Fellow Responsibility:
- Fill in your profile
- Enter case log information as you complete it
- Complete the In-Service Fellowship exam in October
- Complete education modules
- Attend Meet the Masters sessions, or watch the recorded sessions
- Complete the Final Fellowship exam in June
Central Office Responsibility:
- Administer the website
- Assign login's to the fellows annually
- Reset passwords as needed
- Coordinate with Case Log Committee as needed
Program Directors Responsibility:
- Program Directors are to submit a list of fellows annually to the AAST Central Office
- Any changes to rotations/hospitals send to AAST Central Office
- Make sure fellows are entering data as planned to meet the deadlines for reports. All cases will need to be entered by each fellows as the case log for the Institution(s) will be pulled prior to any site revisits.
Case Log Committee Responsibility:
- Review data on an ongoing basis with quarterly reviews.
- Exact plan to be decided upon in terms of division of labor
- Create reports for Chair, Acute Care Surgery Committee and for Program Directors