The mission of the AAST Critical Care Committee is to conduct, promote, and disseminate research, education, and best practices related to the critical care of critically injured trauma and emergency general surgery patients to the membership, highlight the specialty of surgical critical care and advocate for the specialty within the AAST and beyond.
The Critical Care Committee holds monthly meetings by video and meets in person at the AAST Annual Meeting. The Committee engages in several recurrent initiatives, ad hoc projects, and research. These include writing of Clinical Consensus Documents for journal publication, Journal Article Reviews for CME credit on AAST’s website, participation in AAST Virtual Grand Rounds, and conducting research within the committee or in collaboration with other AAST committees. At the AAST Annual Meeting the committee often hosts lunch sessions, moderates the critical care paper session, and selects the Critical Care award and Resident award for oral presentations.
Critical Care Committee Journal Article Review
The AAST’s Critical Care Committee has a CME activity, the AAST Critical Care Committee Journal Article Review, which takes place several times throughout the year. This activity is a brief review of a recent important article relevant to surgical critical care that has been reviewed and approved by the AAST Critical Care Committee.
The Critical Care Committee has conducted several journal article reviews to date, including:
- Early Sedation with Dexmedetomidine in Critically Ill Patients (review done by Dr. Christopher Michetti)
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation for Severe Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (review done by Dr. David Zonies)
- Early propranolol after traumatic brain injury is associated with lower mortality by Ara Ko, et al (review done by Dr. Sonlee West)
- Hydrocortisone, Vitamin C and Thiamine for the Treatment of Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock: A Retrospective Before-After Study by Paul E. Marik, et al. (review done by Dr. Ronald Simon)
- Balanced Crystalloids veresus Saline in Critically Ill Adults by Matthew W. Semler et al (review done by Dr. John Agapian)
- Effect of Vitamin C, Hydrocortisone, and Thiamine vs Hydrocortisone Alone on Time Alive and Free of Vasopressor Support Among Patients with Septic Shock: The VITAMINS Randomized Clinical Traial (review done by Dr. Jeffry Nahmias)
- Effect of Stress Ulcer Prophylaxis with Proton Pump Inhibitors vs Histamine-2 Receptor Blockers on In Hospital Mortality Among ICU Patients Receiving Invasive Mechanical Ventilation: The PEPTIC Randomized Clinical Trial (Review done by Dr. Melvin E. Stone, Jr.)
- See more on the Education Courses page!
The reviews of the articles are available on AAST’s web page for 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Please visit the AAST’s Education e-Learning/CME page here to conduct the journal review for CME. Simply filter by course type “Critical Care Journal Review” to see this educational activity.
RESEARCH & PUBLICATIONS
Publications from CCC 2022-2023
1. Organ donation in the surgical ICU: an American Association for the Surgery of Trauma Critical Care Committee clinical consensus document.
Seshadri A, Cuschieri J, Kaups KL, Knowlton LM, Kutcher ME, Pathak A, Rappold J, Rinderknecht T, Stein DM, Young J, Michetti CP.
Trauma Surg Acute Care Open. 2023 May 12;8(1):e001107. doi: 10.1136/tsaco-2023-001107. eCollection 2023.
PMID: 37205276 Free PMC article. No abstract available.
2. Prevention of alcohol withdrawal syndrome in the surgical ICU: an American Association for the Surgery of Trauma Critical Care Committee Clinical Consensus Document.
Seshadri A, Appelbaum R, Carmichael SP 2nd, Farrell MS, Filiberto DM, Jawa R, Kodadek L, Mandell S, Miles MVP, Paul J, Robinson B, Michetti CP.
Trauma Surg Acute Care Open. 2022 Nov 21;7(1):e001010. doi: 10.1136/tsaco-2022-001010. eCollection 2022.
PMID: 36425749 Free PMC article.
3. Management of Decompensated Cirrhosis in the Surgical ICU: an American Association for the Surgery of Trauma Critical Care Committee Clinical Consensus Document.
Seshadri A, Appelbaum R, Carmichael SP 2nd, Cuschieri J, Hoth J, Kaups KL, Kodadek L, Kutcher ME, Pathak A, Rappold J, Rudnick SR, Michetti CP.
Trauma Surg Acute Care Open. 2022 Aug 1;7(1):e000936. doi: 10.1136/tsaco-2022-000936. eCollection 2022.
PMID: 35991906 Free PMC article.
4. The specialty of surgical critical care: A white paper from the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma Critical Care Committee.
Michetti CP, Nahmias J, Rangel EL, Rappold JF, Gonzalez RP, Pathak AS, Kaups K.
J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2022 Aug 1;93(2):e80-e88. doi: 10.1097/TA.0000000000003629. Epub 2022 Mar 22.
PMID: 35319544 No abstract available.
5. Rhabdomyolysis: an American Association for the Surgery of Trauma Critical Care Committee Clinical Consensus Document.
Kodadek L, Carmichael Ii SP, Seshadri A, Pathak A, Hoth J, Appelbaum R, Michetti CP, Gonzalez RP.
Trauma Surg Acute Care Open. 2022 Jan 27;7(1):e000836. doi: 10.1136/tsaco-2021-000836. eCollection 2022.
PMID: 35136842 Free PMC article.