Call for Nominations
The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery
The American Association for the Surgery of Trauma is conducting a search for the next editor of The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery (JTACS) as the current Editor, Dr. Ernest E. Moore, will complete his term on December 31, 2021. The JTACS Editor Search Committee will conduct first-round interviews in January 2021. A final decision will be made by the AAST Board of Managers by April 2021 and announced in early summer 2021. The transition will occur June – December 2021.
The AAST’s The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery has a long and prestigious reputation as the premier academic trauma journal in the world and will commemorate its history by celebrating its 60th Anniversary in 2020. Dr. Moore, who is only the Journal’s fifth* editor, has been an excellent steward for The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. The AAST and its membership have been most fortunate for his dedication and leadership
During Dr. Moore's tenure, JTACS has:
- Achieved the highest Impact Factor in the history of the Journal;
- Provided systematic instructions to the authors for manuscript preparation;
- Expanded article submission categories;
- Developed a rigorous peer-review process, including a biostatistical review;
- Improved time from submission to first decision < 14 days;
- Improved time from acceptance to PubMed < 7 days;
- Developed formal international relationships;
- Conducted reviewer and author workshops at the annual AAST meeting.
The Search Committee seeks an Editor who will continue to build on Dr. Moore’s successes by developing an innovative vision for the Journal and it’s Editorial Board. Selection criteria for the next Editor include but are not limited to:
- Established reputation in trauma, burns, acute care surgery, clinical or basic research;
- Evidence of academic productivity;
- Proven history of effective management and leadership skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- A reputation for fairness
Eligibility: any Active or Senior Member in the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma in good standing.
The AAST is now inviting nominations (including self-nominations) for the position of Editor. Nomination information should include:
- Current curriculum vitae;
- Editorial experience summary and any other relevant experience;
- Letter detailing:
- Vision for JTACS for the next five years
- Principles for the composition and selection of the Associate Editors and Editorial Board
All documentation must be submitted via email to Sharon Gautschy (email@example.com) by November 1, 2020.
A job description is available by contacting Sharon Gautschy at the email address listed above.
* (excludes the Founding Editor Dr. Charles G. Johnston who expired before the first issue was published.)
AAST provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.