The ESC® (joint collaboration between ESTES and AAST) aims to aid surgeons in non-trauma emergency surgery by providing the know-how and the decision-making skills necessary for daily practice. The course consists of theoretical sessions, case scenarios and state-of-the-art videos. The course is especially designed in an interactive format from the beginning until the end.
The course is divided into two parts:
• The first consists of several theoretical, didactic sessions designed to provide the basic steps for adequate and timely diagnostic and decision-making
• The second, video-based, designed to provide tips and tricks to improve the skills of the general surgeon to deal with surgical emergencies.
In sum, the ESC has the following goals:
• Confront surgeons with every day and problematic emergency scenarios
• Provide concrete answers and guidelines for questions emerging from these situations
• Hone the decision-making skills necessary to manage pre-operative, intra-operative, and post-operative issues
We provide two days of emergency surgery education that include:
• Breakout sessions
• Case discussions
• Topic reviews
Topics include but are not limited to:
• Abdominal sepsis
• Bowel obstruction
• Colorectal emergencies
• Acute cholecystitis
• Obstetric emergencies
The 2021 Emergency Surgery Course Dates are Confirmed!
This year, the Emergency Surgery Course is offering three virtual courses that will hit all "coasts." Students are more than welcome to sign up for any course that they wish - keep in mind of the time zones.
- May 8/9th - Online at the ESTES Meeting - register here
- May 14/15th - to be held virtually in Mountain Standard Time (13 AMA PRA Category Level 1 Credits)
- July 16/17th - to be held virtually in Western Standard Time (13 AMA PRA Category Level 1 Credits)
- September 27/28th - in person at the AAST meeting in Atlanta, GA. Registration coming soon!
- November 12/13th - to be held virtually in Eastern Standard Time (13 AMA PRA Category Level 1 Credits)
Registration is open for all virtual courses! Click here and simply click on the course you wish to attend, click "Add to cart" then complete payment. You will receive additional details in the future regarding the logistics of the course.
Past Emergency Surgery Courses:
- Jacobi Medical Center, New York City Health and Hospitals, New York, NY, December 3rd and 4th
- R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, Baltimore, MD, December 5th and 6th
- Humanitas University, Milan, Italy, February 1st and 2nd
- R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, Baltimore, MD, April 5th and 6th
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, June 21st and 22nd
- The AAST Annual Meeting, Dallas, TX, September 16th and 17th
- The AAST Annual Meeting, Virtual, September 26th and 27th
Please visit this page periodically to view the latest ESC locations, or email email@example.com to be added to our information distribution list for updates regarding this course.
Interested in holding an ESC at your institution? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details!